Las Terrenas Dominican Republic
Las Terrenas is a town on the northeast coast of the Dominican Republic, located in the province of Samaná. It is known for its scenic landscapes, white sand beaches and clear waters. Tourism in this region is constantly growing due to investments in tourist infrastructure such as hotels, clubs, restaurants and shopping centers such as “Puerto Plaza las Terrenas”.
Las Terrenas was founded in 1946, when then-President Rafael Leonidas Trujillo ordered the rural inhabitants of Santo Domingo to resettle in the town as farmers and fishermen. Las Terrenas was then a small fishing village isolated from the rest of the country. Over the years the village’s old fishermen’s cabins have been slowly transformed into bars, restaurants and shops. Samana was a slave trade port for the British in the early seventeenth century. Today, inhabitants are a combination of Taino, Spanish, West Indian and African slaves. The name Las Terrenas originates from the French la terrienne (the landlord).